People often have difficulty being hypnotized because of pre-conceptions they have.
* For example, the hypnotist does not control you. If you read some of the other articles here, you will see examples of that.
* Secondly, there is usually no "feeling" connected with hypnosis. It's not like getting high on alcohol or a drug. Normally a person feels like they were simply sitting there and listening. They can hear everything going on around them. Maybe 10% say they felt differently. A few say they felt heavier, and a few say they felt lighter.
* A person doesn't need to "try" to be hypnotized. All s/he has to do is to just listen, and "let it happen" on its own.
* When a hypnotic suggestion works, a person doesn't feel like anything is making him/her do it. S/He just feels like s/he just decided to do it. That is normal.
* There is no special type of person who can be hypnotized. Some people who are mentally retarded, or mentally ill such as schizophrenic, can't be hypnotized. Hypnotism isn't fooling a person, or tricking him. Being hypnotized does not mean you are weak-willed. You do the hypnotizing, simply by cooperating with the hypnotist. You can change your mind any time you want. See "Stories of Hypnotism" for examples.
* You can't get "locked in" to hypnosis. The California legislature appointed investigators to track down stories of that happening, but could not locate their origins. They were just "urban legends." If you were hypnotized, and for some reason the hypnotist just left, eventually you would simply awaken, as if from a nap.
* Hypnosis is not something "wierd" or mystical. It is natural. You are hypnotized several times a day, including just before you fall asleep, and just after you wake up. If you are driving and on "automatic pilot," and do not remember some places you passed, and maybe even miss your exit, you were hypnotized then.
If you are concentrating on something you are doing, and are startled when somebody approaches you or you don't hear them speaking to you at first, you are hypnotized at that moment. If you wake up in the middle of the night and your hands are numb, you are hypnotized (and might as well as give yourself some constructive suggestions.)
It is perfectly normal. If nature had not created you to make it possible, it would not be possible.
If you have any questions or reservations about hypnotism, please ask the hypnotist about it.